LOL <(^^)> BRB TTYL  

Posted by -Slamel-




I was having lunch with a girl recently and offered to go refill her drink. As I picked up her cup and stood to go get the refill she said, "TY". I thought about stabbing her after that.

Don't worry, you won't be seeing my face in the news, at least not for the murder of this young woman, but needless to say I won't be calling (read as:texting) her for another date.

Seriously, is this what the use of the English language has come to? I text. I text a lot. I go through around 7-8 thousand texts a month. I'm even guilty of using the occasional emoticon, acronym, or 'haha'. But I adamantly refuse to make it a common occurance, or worse yet, use it in the spoken word.

If this trend continues I don't know that I can be held responsible for my actions. If my roommate says, out loud, "Lawl, fuh-tah-wuh (FTW=for the win), rah-full-stomp (roflstomp=win so excessively you laugh out loud), or no-buh-duh (NBD=no big deal)" then I may just have to put a pillow over his face while he is sleeping and press. Hard.

Isn't techonology supposed to set us free? Make life easier? While it may do this, the shackles of stupidity are firmly being locked around our wrists and ankles. I received a three page text today, without a single capitalized letter or puncuation mark, and at least three 'haha's or 'LOL's. After wiping the vomit from around my mouth, I struggled to conjure a response that wouldn't show my disgust. Even more difficult, however, was formulating a reply that would fit my audience without resorting to a "zomggg lol".

In order to make my life easier (because, really, it is all about me) I submit that we abolish either text emoticons and acronyms, or the english language and revert back to pictoglyphs scratched on the walls of our abodes.

Sound good to you? Sounds freakin' awesome to me! LOL.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at Wednesday, July 29, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 comments

Your reaction to this trend is just a sad side effect of the fact that you grew up during the one, weird period of world history where language was frozen. Languages have always changed, and they always will, mankind's brief flirtation with dictionaries notwithstanding. You'll live.

July 29, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Totally agree with you! My sister in law and mother in law use text in the spoken word and it drives me nuts! The English language deserves better than this "text talk."

July 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM

lmao ha ha lol! :)

July 29, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Brian I knew someone was going to do that. I figured it would either be you or the roommate I referred to.

July 30, 2009 at 12:11 AM

If my girl friend says "OMG" in normal conversation again I'm going to cut her tongue out with a crudely fashioned spoon...

July 30, 2009 at 12:57 AM

I'm SO not hip with this lingo...and I don't feel bad about it. In fact, I hope it makes people feel stupid when I ask what they are trying to say.
xoxoxo

July 30, 2009 at 5:06 AM

I can't honestly say I've ever had anyone use "text talk" in face to face conversation. The idea of it makes me want to snap my own neck.

Confession: I am a little bit addicted to using emoticons when I text or IM.

Justification: I don't want anyone to interpret my sarcasm as a personal insult. I find I especially want to use it with people who don't know me well. Clearly I need to work on my 100 characters or less written communication skills.

July 30, 2009 at 7:59 AM

I hate emoticons.

And really, a 3-page text? Getting a text that long is equivalent to getting a phone message that lasts for more that 5 minutes. Ugh.

July 30, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Ugghh. I think I would shudder in disgust. I hate it when people say "dot dot dot" Or "btw"

July 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Post a Comment